Organisation:Doras BuíCategory:Medium OrganisationsCharity Reg no. :200135301. Tell us about the issue(s) this organisation is tackling and why it's important
2. How does your organisation go about tackling these issues?
- Why was the organisation set up? What is it trying to change or do? Why is it important to do this? Doras Buí engages families and empowers them to make better informed choices which leads to better outcomes. All our activities are delivered in a spirit of solidarity and professionalism. They have the right to accurate information and the opportunity to participate in society on an equal basis with all other citizens. Our organisation aims to encourage social and economic self-reliance, confidence, and the developmental skills. We keep ourselves fully informed about factors and trends affecting families at local, regional, and national levels. We work with community and local development organisations and state agencies in the interests of families and for the benefit of all living in our catchment area. AIl in accordance with the Equal Status Act 2000.
3. Tell us about a case where the organisation has made a positive difference.
- Explain your organisation's approach to solving the issues you identified in your previous answer. If it has had to adapt its activities in response to COVID-19, how did it do this? In 2020, COVID-19 closed our centre, the Board & staff came together, and agreed that we continue to support the families we work with. We were mindful with children out of school, families food & energy budget increased. This put financial strains on many of them. In addition, children and parents been confined to the house which added to stress on the parents this impacted their mental health. Families were feeling isolated, confused, and anxious. Our information and support team continued to support parents through anxious times with emotional support over the telephone, through social media and zoom support groups. We provided Child Parent Relationship Therapy for the parents, delivered activity art packs to families, assisted with zoom app setups and loaning laptops to the families
4. What has the overall impact of this work been and how do you measure it?
- This is your chance to talk about impact in qualitative terms. Provide a case study to illustrate the impact of the organisation’s work. We will accept anonymous case studies if you need to protect the identity of a service user or individuals under 18 years of age. You can include a quote or endorsement if you wish.A young mother registered with Doras Bui after finding out she was pregnant at 15. This young parent had experienced domestic violence from her partner, leading to a court appointed protection order, and had little support from her parents. She lives in a low socio-economic area with ongoing gang violence. This area has one of the lowest figures for secondary level completion. In collaboration with the young mother and her parents, the teen parent support program aided in rebuilding of relationships and ensuring this young mother and family members felt support by Doras Buí. Doras Buí was able to assist thorough liaising and advocating with relevant organisations and educational figures on her behalf. We supported them financially i.e., with stationary, skill based/development workshops, books and fees, uniform, and travel. These supports allowed her to remain in education and alleviated financial hardships. Throughout her pregnancy she remained in secondary education. This young mother had previously said that she did not have support from family to remain or return to education and was expected to remain at home once baby arrived. Doras Buí’s assisted through a Childcare Contribution to further alleviate financial burden and ensure she returned to education. Throughout their time in secondary school, the participant engaged with the programme through skill based and development workshops, parent development courses and education-based talks. This young mother excelled.
5. What makes your organisation special?
- How would you describe the overall impact of your organisation’s work? What measures do you use to know if you have been successful at achieving your goals? How do you know what to improve or change in your work? Please include as much evidence as possible to demonstrate your impact. Doras Buí provides courses and events for the families who voluntary participate. When the pandemic hit we had to adapt and respond to our family’s needs to connect with services. Our information and support staff are trained to offer accurate information and support the families through the various statutory services and systems. Information is provided on a wide range of topics. All our early years staff are highly trained and we have achieved Siolta Certification. We have implemented the High/Scope Early Years Curriculum in our centre, an approach to early learning developed in the United States in 1962 specifically for children in disadvantaged communities. We offer a confidential counselling service to Lone Parents attending the Centre. There is also Art & Drama Therapists that provide therapy for children aged from 4 to 12 years. A lot of our measure of success is due to listening to the family’s needs from conducted surveys and feedback from the families. Our CRM keeps track of all our activities and volume of registrations in the different services indicating to us which are in more demand and when. The Social Inclusion and Community Activation Program (SICAP) ) is a big part of Doras Buí. Not only does it fund many of our services it also measures the services Doras Buí provide to the participants with a portal to record interventions and outputs.
6. How can the public support your work?
- What is the organisation’s unique selling-point? What makes the organisation different from others working in the same field/area?The greater the participation and involvement in the services and activities the more of a sense of pride grows in our catchment area and the families neighbourhood itself. Doras Buí encourages and initiates programmes that involve the community and brings them together. There is a common ground here at Doras Buí which focuses on inclusivity while fostering a culture of healthy well-being in the communities that we serve in. We have been able to create a variety of initiatives which have benefited the local community with our new Sensory Room that will allow younger and older members in the local community who need the most help to avail of its benefits. Change can be challenging however, staff and families adapted well and it opened new approaches for engaging.
7. Describe how your organisation is transparent and accountable
- Do you need volunteers? Do you fundraise? Can the public share your story? Give them a call to action.We have raffle events at Christmas and Easter. The local businesses support us by donating gift items / monies along with donations from our staff and family members. The public also support us by: Donating clothes for back to school Food from local businesses for our food hampers, vegetable parcels and ready meals, The public have been very helpful in assisting Doras Buí with the delivery of the food hampers. We always welcome volunteers and ask the public to share our story.
- For example, do you publish your annual accounts online? Are you compliant with the Charities Regulator's Charities Governance Code? Do you use the Charities Regulator’s Fundraising Principles?We are regulated by The Charity Regulators and comply with all expectations and compliance. We have our Policies and Procedure Manual which is given to all employees and hard copies kept in areas of the organisation. We have our Policies and Procedure Manual posted online on our organisations website: http://www.dorasbui.ie We have a safe guarding statement located in the reception area. All staff are trained to a high level of expertise and training is provided on an ongoing basic to upskill staff. All our finances are kept to regulations standard with a yearly independent auditor conduct an audit each year. We publish our yearly Annual Accounts online and are transparent and accountable. We follow the core standards of the Governance Code to insure the best practice for Doras Bui.